Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Peyton Plaid

Recently, I had the pleasure of making a sweet baby quilt for some dear friends who are expecting their first child - a little boy! This was such a fun quilt to make because the momma gave me some of the fabrics that she was using in his nursery, as well as a monogrammed piece of fabric to use in the quilt.

When deciding on what to make for this quilt, I knew that I wanted to focal piece to be the monogram. Ultimately, I decided to do log cabin blocks with green - ish fabrics on one side and the blue - ish fabrics on the other.  I made the strips 2.5 inches unfinished - and each block is roughly ten inches square.
To make the monogram block really stand out, I framed the entire quilt in a 2.5 inch border in the same blue. I don't usually do borders on quilts but I love how it looks on this one.

It's bound in one of the solid fabrics that my friend asked me to use - and I love how it plays off the blues and the plaids beautifully.
The back of the quilt features some practice log cabin blocks that I made, some solid white fabric, and the primary plaid that the nursery is based off of.

I quilted this quilt in straight lines echoing the center block - and working my way to the outside border. I used a light blue Aurifil thread in 50 weight so that it would almost sink into the fabric.
This quilt measures 35 inches square.

I love how this quilt turned out and I can't wait to see it in little Peyton's nursery!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival Entry #2

 This is my second entry into the Fall Bloggers Quilt Festival! I love how it gives all of us a chance to show off some of our favorites - especially if we don't get to attend Quilt Festival or Quilt Market! It's so inspiring to see everything that people make!!

This is my second entry! It's my Strawberry Social mini quilt! I'm entering this into the Home Machine Quilted category - because this mini is too large for the mini quilt category!

I first blogged about this quilt here. It is a mix of paper piecing and traditional piecing, as well as a mix of linen and quilting cotton fabrics.

It measures 23 inches square for a total of 92 inches. It's honestly one of my favorite minis that I have made - and boy oh boy, was it hard to send this one off.

Be sure to come back tomorrow to the quilt festival and vote for my quilts - or just your favorites!! So much talent out there!

Happy Halloween yall!

Bloggers Quilt Festival Entry #1

 Hey yall! I bet you thought you'd never hear from me again!! I'm slowly getting some energy back - but not quite there yet! However, I couldn't let the fall Blogger's Quilt Festival escape without adding two of my favorite quilts! This past spring, I entered here and here.

For my first entry, I decided to share my low volume / pink baby quilt (I really need a better name for it).  I first blogged about this precious baby quilt here.  I'm entering it in the Small Quilts Category.

It measures 32 inches by 36 inches - which is 136 inches all the way around.
I used over 45 different scrappy fabrics for this, and quilted it using Aurifil 50 wt thread.

I love how sweet and feminine this little quilt is.
Be sure to check out all the fabulous quilts that have been entered! There are so amazing quilts! I'm always so inspired! I promise I'll do a roundup soon of my favorites that were entered. Take care yall!

Oh, and happy Halloween!!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Eyelet Callie

Hey yall!! Wow - it's definitely been a while since my announcement earlier this fall. In case you missed it, you can go here to read it. I'm still feeling a bit under the weather with this baby, so my sewing and blogging time has become very limited and precious.

Anyways, I wanted to share with yall a top I made earlier this summer, and one that has had a lot of wear already. It's quickly become one of my favorite shirts.
I used the Callie Top pattern by See Kate Sew. I like using Kate's patterns because they are so feminine, simple, and elegant. I love how this top is very modest and still has a bit of a girly edge to it. Kate made this up in an eyelet/lace top - and since I couldn't get that verison out of my head, I copied with my own eyelet one. I used this purple/gray eyelet from Michael Levine (no longer carried -sorry yall!). 

Pattern Description
The Callie ruffle top is a feminine summer top with ruffles over the shoulders and ruffle sleeves. Perfect for a summer party or date night. Back and front darts that are easy to sew. Ruffle sleeve or cap sleeve option. Button up back. 

Fabric Used
A grayish purple cotton eyelet. 
Pattern Sizing
I made a medium based on the bust measurements. It was definitely super big on me - I ended up taking four inches out of the back to compensate. Next time, I'd sew up a small and just do a FBA. 
Clarity of Pattern
Kate's patterns are super easy to follow. They are written just like her tutorials- you feel like she is right there with you guiding your sewing along. 
Because it ended up being so large on me, I ended up omitting four inches out of the back, and omitted the back buttons - it was easy enough to get on over my head. 
It took less than a half an hour to cut out, and it took a naptime to sew up! That's less than two hours, yall! My kind of sewing!
Obviously, I love this top! I'm a little unhappy with how the front of the neckline drapes on me, and I think its partially because of how large this was on my petite frame. But even with that, I still love this top. I wore it for a weekend away in Charleston, and received so many compliments on it. It was a great casual top with jeans, but I've also worn it to work many times, too. I love that it's girly and fun without being over the top. I'd love to see how it sews up in a linen or another type of material. Take care yall!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...